Tuesday 28 February 2012

Milford Track: Day 2


Although the second day should have been an easy 16.5 km walk to the Mintaro Hut, we got off to a stressful start.

My dear husband, who thought I had fallen into the Te Anau River.


First, it was raining as we set out (no surprise there) and then I became separated from my husband and friends.

How this came about is a long story that began with one mis-communication:  I didn't realize that my husband Bruce was going to that outdoor Clinton loo and not down the trail.

Off I went on my own, convinced that  members of my party were before and behind me.  But when I hadn't seen anyone  for several hours, it became apparent even to me, that something was very wrong.  What could have happened?  Where was he?  Where were they? 

Could they all be following me, wondering where I was?


Such lush foliage1  And NO RAIN!


In our universally anxious state, no pictures we taken until I finally stopped and waited for our party. Then we assembled our little group for the 600 metre climb to the Mintaro Hut. By then we were all in a more cheerful frame of mind and the sun was shining!


No comments:

Post a Comment