Monday 13 February 2012

Cool Capital

In downtown Wellinton today I saw a lighted crawl on the stock exchange that proclaimed "The Coolest Little Capital in the World".  At last ....some recognition for this fascinating harbour city at the bottom of New Zealand's North Island. 

A feature of the downtown is Civic Square, a gorgeous public space near the harbour.  I love the floating fern ball which is strung on invisible wires above the courtyard!

The old and new libraries flank this Square.  The art deco building on the right is the former library where I once worked as a children's librarian.  It is now an art gallery. The new library is on the edge of the Square and has the most interesting, undulating windows. 
The Wellington Public Library -- wiggly wall and cabbage tree garden

I am fascinated by the use of Maori in everyday life and in an offical capacity.  All New Zealanders know basic Maori words phrases and seem proud to identify with this culture.  One often sees the use of Aotearoa (Land of the Long White Cloud)  and many references to the country by both names (Aotearoa/New Zealand). Most public insitutions are indentified in both languages.  The Maori for "Public Library" is "The Window on the Wide World".  Nice, eh?

2 comments:

  1. I see you have lived in Wellington before, so the weather (windy, and possibly wet and cold) won't be too much of a surprise. I have been enjoying your posts, having retired about the same time as you. I like the shortness of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coora, You are right -- we lived in Wellington for 4 years in the 70's and come back fairly regularly. I love this city! When we first returned after having lived here, I was deeply distressed that NZ had not stayed as I remembered. I wanted a beetroot sandwich, not a chicken panini! What do you mean I can shop on Saturday? But I'm over that. Prepared pavlovas from New World? Bring them on!

    I see from the blogs you follow that we share some interests. But the tea cozy blog is gone! (I have a fondness for crocheted tea cozies.)

    ReplyDelete